“Pedestrians now account for the largest proportion of traffic fatalities recorded in the past 25 years” (GHSA.org)
The latest numbers are alarming when it comes to pedestrian accidents in New Jersey and around the country. As New Jersey accident lawyers, we at Mintz & Geftic represent clients that have been injured in all types of serious accidents. This includes car accidents, truck accidents, construction accidents, motorcycle accidents, as well as accidents involving pedestrians.
Readers in some of the state’s more rural counties might not face a major threat when it comes to pedestrian accidents. However, here in Elizabeth and in surrounding cities like Newark and Jersey City, residents deal with these dangers on a daily basis.
New Jersey Pedestrian Accident Lawyers – The Facts
- In 2015, 35,092 people were killed in traffic accidents. This includes truck accidents, car accidents and pedestrian accidents.
- Of that total number of people killed, 5,376 of the traffic deaths were pedestrians.
- In addition, an estimated 70,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic crashes nationwide (NHTSA).
- On average, a pedestrian was killed every 1.6 hours and injured every 7.5 minutes in traffic crashes.
- In 2015, New Jersey had a total of 562 traffic fatalities. This includes all accidents, including truck accidents, car accidents and pedestrian accidents.
- Of those 562 people that lost their lives in accidents, 170 were pedestrians.
- The 170 pedestrians deaths make up 30.2% of the total traffic fatalities. This number was the highest among all states in 2015.
The image below shows the location of Pedestrian Fatalities in Union County from 2012-2014
New Jersey Pedestrian Accident Lawyers – When and Where?
This graphic from an NHTSA report gives a good breakdown of certain factors involving pedestrian accidents and pedestrian fatalities:
New Jersey Pedestrian Accident Lawyers – Why The Increase?
There are a number of factors that might be involved when it comes to the increase in accidents and pedestrian fatalities. One primary reason that all traffic experts point to is the increased usage of smart phones. The distracted driving that is occurring on our roads these days has reached unprecedented levels, putting both drivers and pedestrians at great risk. .
Unfortunately, until we all put down the cellphone, these increases are likely to continue.
Elizabeth, New Jersey Accident Lawyers
We give personal attention to all of our clients. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, car accident, construction accident, or were injured as a pedestrian, call us today at 908-352-2323. If you prefer contacting our accident lawyers via email, please click here.
Our car and truck accident injury lawyers serve clients throughout New Jersey. This includes the cities of Newark, Elizabeth, Union and Jersey City. We cover Morris, Bergen, Hudson, Union and Middlesex counties. Our accident lawyers have offices in Elizabeth, New Jersey and in New York City.